If you haven’t read the brewing at home overview, I suggest you do! If you have a scale, brewing your coffee will become exponentially more consistent and delicious. Now lets brew some amazing coffee – here’s our recipe:
Small (16 oz)
- 28g freshly roasted coffee (ground immediately before brewing at a hair more coarse than an auto-drip)
- 475g filtered water
Large (30 oz)
- 50g freshly roasted coffee (ground immediately before brewing at a hair more coarse than an auto-drip)
- 850g filtered water
Brew Time: 4-5 minutes
Set-Up – Fold your Chemex filter in half, and then into quarters (although many come pre-folded!). Place into the Chemex with “3-layered” side facing the spout. Rinse the filter with hot water and discard. Pour ground coffee into filter and place on a scale. Zero (or “tare”) the scale. We are ready to begin.
- Start your timer! – Add just enough water (195-205 F) to wet the grounds (around 40-60g should do the trick) – let bloom for 45 seconds.
- Begin extraction – slowly add about half the water to the wet grounds in a circular motion moving from the center, to the outside, and back to the center without touching the edge of the filter.
- After letting some water drain through, repeat step 2 until your scale reads the proper amount.
- Let water drain fully – As the last drops trickle through or pull your filter at 4 (5 for large) minutes, whichever comes first.