If you want to make the fresh iced coffee at home – you can! It’s not difficult, and it only takes as long as it does to brew a cup of coffee on the Beehouse or Chemex. The Clever is a unique brewing device in that it can be used as a drip brewer or full-immersion brewer. The plug on the bottom is shut if the dripper is not on a cup, and when placed on a cup it will drain. We can use this to create a great iced coffee that has been properly extracted.
As always if you haven’t read the brewing at home overview, I suggest you do! If you have a scale, brewing your coffee will become exponentially more consistent and delicious. Now lets brew some amazing iced coffee – here’s our recipe:
- 27g freshly roasted coffee (ground immediately before brewing at a hair more fine than an auto-drip)
- 250g (about 8 oz) filtered water
- 300g ice cubes
- Brew Time: 3:15-3:45
Set-Up – Add 300g ice to your cup of choice. Fold your #4 filter along the bottom seam, then along the side seam and slide it into your dripper and then onto your mug/cup or carafe. Rinse the filter with hot water and discard the water. Place just the Clever onto the scale, pour ground coffee into filter and place on a scale. Zero (or “tare”) the scale. We are ready to begin.
- Start your timer! – Add all water (195-205 F) slowly to the wet grounds in a circular motion moving from the center, to the outside, and back to the center without touching the edge of the filter.
- After 30 seconds, give the slurry (grounds + water) a stir with a whisk (or spoon, chopstick, etc.) for about 10-15 seconds making sure to get all grounds saturated.
- At 2:30 place Clever over your cup with ice – Let drain for 0:45-1:15 (around 3:15-3:45 total time), until fully (or mostly) drained.